RQM Annual report of activities 2016-2017
The annual report of activities of the Réseau Québec maritime was presented to all members and adopted in Assembly on June 13th.
Read it and discover the achievements of the RQM since its creation in May 2016.
Annual meeting of members
The 2nd RQM annual meetin of members will be held on June 13th 2017. The annual activity report will be presented, along with the Odyssée Saint-Laurent program funded by the Government of Quebec ($ 15M / 5 years) and carried out by the RQM.
5 intersectoral research projects funded
The Québec Maritime Network (RQM) unveils a list of the first five intersectoral research projects funded through its activities. A total of $ 467,000 were awarded.
CHOSEN PROJECTS FOR THIS FIRST RQM CALL FOR PROPOSAL
1) Minimize energy consumption when using gas purification systems on ships – Principal Investigator: Faïçal Larachi of Université Laval, partners: Innovation maritime and CO2 Solutions Inc.
2) Understanding environmental stressors in industrial harbor areas (ZIP) and monitoring changes in basic natural conditions – Principal Investigator: Jean-Éric Tremblay of Québec-Ocean, partners: Université Laval, Institut nordique de recherche en environnement et en santé au travail (INREST), St. Lawrence Global Observatory (OGSL), Ports de Québec and Sept-Îles.
3) Characterize the temporal changes and extent of eelgrass beds in the estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence and identify the mechanisms responsible for these changes- Principal Investigator: Mathieu Cusson of UQAC, partners: UQAR, Université Laval , INREST, Port of Sept-Îles and Québec-Océan.
4) Create a portal that provides to communities struggling with environmental and climate changes, a set of tools facilitating their actions regarding their adaptation – Principal Investigator: Sebastian Weissenberger of UQAM, partners: UQAR, Quebec Watershed Organizations Grouping (ROBVQ), Grand Council of the Waban-Aki Nation.
5) Improve the level of occupational health and safety knowledge of Québec professional divers and their capacity to respond to emergencies – Principal Investigator: Neal Pollock of Université Laval, partners: Institut maritime du Québec (IMQ) , CISSS Chaudière-Appalaches, Center for Diving Medicine of Quebec, Quebec Federation of Underwater Activities (FQAS).
As part of this call for research projects proposal, the RQM also supported two requests for vessel time for the Lampsilis, a research vessel capable of navigating in the freshwater and brackish waters of the St. Lawrence River and some of its tributaries.
May 10, 11 and 12th 2017 – ACFAS
April 12th 2017, Québec
Presentation of the RQM and the France-Québec Maritime Institute (Institut France-Québec pour la coopération scientifique en appui au secteur maritime-IFQM) to the consular body of Québec.
March 27th and 28th 2017 – RQM Living Lab Workshop, Rimouski
A co-construction activity to collectively prototype solutions that answer the question: “How could we ensure the sharing of information, data, expertise and infrastructures among RQM members in order to provide Québec with an integrated and an intersectoral approach towards challenges of a sustainable maritime development? “
March 1st 2017 – Deadline for research projects submission
The financial support for research projects within the framework of RQM activities aims :
1) to meet the objectives of the scientific strategy of the RQM;
2) to foster the development of innovative and intersectoral collaborative projects;
(3) to ensure a dynamic and interactive link between research actors and users to encourage the transfer, integration, appropriation of technologies and knowledge and the use of participatory methods in decision-making mechanisms;
(4) to encourage the training of highly qualified personnel in the maritime sector.